School occupational therapists and occupational therapy assistants are key contributors within the Green Tree team. These professionals help students by supporting their academic achievement and promoting positive behaviors necessary for learning. School occupational therapists support academic, behavioral and therapeutic outcomes, including social skills, math, reading and writing, self-help skills, prevocational/vocational participation and more.
Occupational therapy practitioners have specific knowledge and expertise to increase student participation in school routines throughout the day.
- Reducing barriers that limit student participation within the school environment
- Providing assistive technology to support student success
- Supporting the needs of students with signiﬁcant challenges, such as by helping to determine methods for alternate educational assessment and learning
- Helping to identify long-term goals for appropriate post-school outcomes
- Helping to plan relevant instructional activities for ongoing implementation in the classroom
- Preparing students for successfully transitioning into appropriate post–high school employment, independent living, and/or further education